WHY IS DECHOKER SO IMPORTANT!
What is Choking?
Choking is the stoppage of the flow of air from the environment into the lungs. Choking prevents breathing, and can be partial or complete, with partial choking allowing some, although inadequate, flow of air into the lungs. Prolonged or complete choking results in asphyxia which leads to anoxia and is potentially fatal.
- A leading Cause of death in children- One child every 5 days.
- A leading Cause of death in persons over the age of 65.
- A choking death occurs every two hours.
- Choking causes Over 100,000 visits to the ER yearly.
- Over 100 million Americans have no defense against choking due to pregnancy, disability, obesity or being alone.
- More people die from choking than die in fires, non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning, drowning or accidental shootings.
Time is of The Essence
- 0-4 minutes: Brain Damage Unlikely
- 4-6 minutes: Brain Damage Possible
- 6-10 minutes: Brain Damage Likely
- 10+ minutes: Probable Brain Death
- Average Emergency Response Time: 7-12 minutes
- Most choking deaths are caused by food
- Candy and Coins make up approximately 37% ER visits for Choking for children 1-4 years old.
What illnesses or diseases increases the chances of choking?
- Cerebral Palsy
- Febrile Seizure
- Huntingtons Disease
- Swallowing Difficulties
- Brain Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Parkinsons Disease
- Esophageal Spasm
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Diffuse Spasm
- Esophageal Tumors
- Neurological Disorders